Monday, October 24, 2011

Write, write, write

Last year I wrote 60,000 words in one month.  Unfortunately, I didn't write much more for the other eleven months.  The reason for my productivity was the National Novel Writing Month program - or NaNoWriMo - that takes place each November to encourage the lazy writers around the world, such as I am, to jumpstart their creativity. 

I am very creative - in my head.  Translating it to the page, or to the computer screen, is the problem.

I do very well when placed in a classroom situation with deadlines or in a writers' group, to which I belonged for several years in the 90's.  That was great.  I had a small group of like-minded friends who encouraged each other to write, share and meet regularly.  Knowing that I'd face my circle of writing friends once a month gave me motivation to produce something to share.  I guess I'm a social writer.  I want to write for myself, however, other than in journals and on the occasional blog.

I have stories to tell and time is getting shorter by the day.  That is why I persist in joining writing classes and NaNoWriMo.  Maybe some day I'll either get motivated to write everyday in a more organized way, or find another writing group that I love as much as I did the last one.  Until then, I've set my goal of 50,000 words for November, joined a linked class at the local college and bought my shiny new pens and flash drive. 

Wish me luck.  I'll let you know how it's going.

No comments:

Post a Comment